Wednesday, November 5, 2008

WTF Was She Thinking?


I recently got a new cupcake cookbook and, of course, was very excited to make something from it. Our neighbors were celebrating their 36th Wedding Anniversary so I decided to make some cupcakes for them. The hard part is, she is allergic to chocolate and nuts. (Why go on living?) So I chose a Caramel Banana recipe. Sounds lovely....



The first sign that I wasn't going to like these cupcakes was the cake recipe. The recipe was great up to the point where you add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest. I thought it sounded strange for a banana cupcake, but then again my fave banana cake recipe has coconut in it, so how bad could it be?


I hated it. Ok, hate is strong, but seriously, I did not like it. I did not like the lemon flavor in the cupcake at all.

Then the frosting. It was basically an Italian meringue buttercream with banana added. It started out lovely....



and ended in disaster. It totally broke down when I added the banana and looked disgusting. So I tossed it and made peanut butter buttercream instead, which was delicious. But the cupcakes remain, on my counter, uneaten, and below my gift-giving standards. I think I will stick to my fave recipes from now on...

No comments: